Monday, May 12, 2008

One year!

So, it's time again, that I think about the marriage thing. As many of you two readers know, John and I had our first anniversary on May 5th (last Monday). This past year has really been phenomenal.

Recap:
Wonderful Honeymoon! Yay for the Virgin Islands
First time staying in the same tent together
Newly wed class
First time staying together in the same bed at the In-laws & various other family's.
First Holidays as married
First Marrieds weekend at the Beach
First hosting a dating couple at our house for dinner as marrieds.

We've had a lot of "firsts" this year. It's really been so exciting seeing how we each grow with one another to work through things and not want to storm off and be alone.

Our newly wed class helped a lot with things, and I'm interested in when we decide to allow our family to grow, just how all that we've learned will play into things. There were definitely times I thought either he or I was completely insane. There were times I thought he was being a stubborn man, and he thought I was being a hormonal woman.

He's learned when I cry at commercials to not stare at me, or laugh. And in turn, I've learned that when he vegges out on the couch after work to let him be for a half hour show. We no longer do that annoying/ackward thing where we correct each other constantly, but we seem to help finish each others sentences more often.

I've been to so many Silver shows that I have groupie T. I know all their songs, even the ones they've only practiced and never played in public. I'm in the bracket known as "the wives". And I seem to constantly be hanging out with friends that have an equally as interesting counterpart to keep my husband entwined while the girls ramble on.

Yes, this year, we have learned a lot. I heard it was going to be hard, and there were those times, but at the milestone marker, I'm so excited for everything we've accomplished together. I think I'm a better person for all that we've learned together. He understands that sometimes I just need to talk and talk, and having someone there to listen is most of the battle. I understand most of the time he doesnt want to talk, and instead would rather we go watch a game, or wear matching jersies, or go bowling together.

Our anniversary was wonderful! We went out to dinner at this awesome sushi place downtown called Sono, and talked about everything that we've learned in this past year, what great dates we would like to go on, and buying a house in the future. I can honestly say he is my best friend, the person who believes in me the most, and pushes me the hardest; who sees the best in me even when I dont believe it, or see it myself.

So, for the first year, the first notch, that first hash mark, we've done pretty dang great! I'm excited to see what more is in store.

Love you dear.

3 comments:

  1. I love you both! Congrats on making it through the first year of marriage. It only gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome reflecting...I am glad you two had a wonderful time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. We are so blessed to be in your lives. Congratuations of your one year mark!!

    ReplyDelete