Thursday, June 25, 2009

Recommendations please

Today, John and I went to the Verizon store to upgrade our plans. 2 years ago, all we needed was calling and texting...but now some things have changed.

John needs a business friendly phone, one that he can email, check the web, text, and do just about anything with. He found a phone he likes, and has all his wants/needs/fun things.

I need a phone that texts, calls people, and the battery doesn't die every day. End of my "needs/wants/fun things."

So, off to Verizon we go, feeling pretty good, mildly worried about how much all these "needs/wants/fun things" is going to cost, but knowing that at least his stuff can be written off for taxes for his business.

Now, for this part of the story, you have to understand that I consider myself a very patient person. BUT- I am a redhead, through and through. We are typically very patient, but once that scale is tipped, it's fury for all those involved...for good. Ask this to John and he'll completely agree, that it takes a lot to really make me mad, but when I am, it's fury. Fiery, mad fury.


On with the story:
We go into the Verizon store, look at a phone or two, and sign in. Up pops my name on the screen that the whole store can see that we are in need of the "sales" department...and we're the only name on the list. So we continue to browse for some phones. John's pretty set on the one he wants, I don't really know what I want...we're clicking through about 15 mins here.

I look up to the screen and see that my name is still there...still the only one there mind you. And continue to browse some more. A few more minutes go by and I glance up to see that my name is now off the list.

Oh Yay! We're about to get this underway.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Okay, maybe not.
At this point, I'm getting pretty agitated. I contemplate re-signing in. Obviously, they didn't help me the first time, so..signing in again might help? I ask John what's going on, he doesn't know but he's trying to look up a different Verizon location on one of the display phones.

I make eye contact with a sales rep across the store behind a counter not helping anyone.

Okay, then we'll wait some more...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...


Alright John. Enough. I'm mad. Rudely mad. Mad enough that if someone stops me as I'm walking out the door to try their salesman pitch to keep me there, I'm going to be offensive.

Over 45 minutes at that store, and not ONE person came and talked to us.

Not a one.


I have never worked at Verizon, nor any other cellular phone store, but I think the only way to get business is to talk to someone.


So, this is where you come in. Now, we are thinking about changing providers. We've not been super pleased with Verizon overall, and today might have just tipped that scale to highly displeased.


Verizon is pretty much the only carrier I have used.

For my plan, it will cost $45/mo for the lowest minutes, and basic texting.

John's will cost $100, for mid-range minutes (900), internet, texting.

Pros for Verizon:
-Give you money every 2 yrs to apply towards a new phone.
-Already a customer, no more paperwork to fill out.
-Free in network minutes.

Cons for Verizon:
-Expensive
-See no difference than other carriers
-Poor customer service.


So please, Tell me what carrier you have, what you like/dislike about your carrier, and if it's worth switching. I've heard all the "salesmen-eese", I don't want to hear their input. You use it, you know what the downfalls are and the great things about your service; you know which phones are bad, which ones break constantly, and you know which company will be worth it in the long run. So, Tell me all about it!

3 comments:

  1. Well, Altell & Verizon are the same thing so going with Altell won't help you any. I really like Altell. You just have to get the right plan. Plus if you can get in at Duke, you & John can get the Duke discount (7%) if you stay with Verizon! We go to the Verizon store at Brier Creek & have been really pleased with their service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently with AT&T and very much dislike them especially the store in Crossroads (do not go there unless you like to get mad and get the urge to hit someone). I went there today bc my phone has been turning off for no apparent reason (in the middle of talking, just sitting on my desk, etc) I walked in told them what my problem was, was added to the list, waited for 45 min while always being the next person in line. It is finally my turn and they ask me what is wrong and tell me I need to go to a service store off of Tryon. Why couldn't they have told me that when I walked in and saved time and frustration! Anyways again I haven't been happy with them since I switched to them. But whoever you choose I hope you get good service and everything you are looking for! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benny and I have Verizon. We like our service. However we have had problems with some of their sales personnel as well. We went to the one at Crossroads and were told there was nothing they could do about our problem. We went to the store in Fuquay Varina and it was a different story. The guy there was very helpful. Perhaps it is the individual store personnel as opposed to Verizon personnel.

    ReplyDelete