Monday, July 26, 2010

A little job history for ya

One thing you've probably never heard me talk about on here is my job history.  You might have heard parts in passing or could pick up on a few from previous posts, but I'm sure you've never heard my history, or heard of the dreaded first day.

I think most people are excited, nervous, and probably a little anxious over their first day at a new job.  And rightfully so.  The first day brings about many feelings that you're not quite sure how to process.  You're starting in a new company, with possibly new expectations from previous positions, along with new people and new interactions and completely new dynamics everywhere.

I personally, would like to skip forward about 3 weeks and start my "first day" then.  Somehow, I haven't mastered the hands-of-time in figuring out how to skip the first day and end up at day 15 yet....bummer.


Here's how my days of getting paid for labor have panned out:

1st job:  "Kennel Assistant" at a local to home veterinary hospital.  Better known job name - "Pooper Scooper".  And that's what I did.  First day, we had 4 dogs with extreme cases of Parvo Virus, which translates into a LOT of work for me.  I hate this virus, and it's so tough for the pups to handle.  Seriously, vaccinate your dogs.  Because of said extra hard work, I ended up working an hour late on my first day.  Everyone else went home...I had to stay to mop floors.
I cried.

2nd Job:  "Receptionist" at a veterinary Hospital in Apex.  Old green & black screen computer system and I was pretty much thrown right in to sink or swim with no training what-so-ever.  Loved my manager, but the Lead Vet was pretty blunt and told me exactly what he thought of my sinking computer skills.
I cried.

3rd Job:  "Receptionist/ Vet Tech" at a veterinary Hospital in Holly Springs. Pretty awesome group of people.  First day was pretty calm, with more up to date computer technology.  Great job, but first day I was suckered into cleaning (again) for someone, and stayed late.
I cried.

4th Job: "Research Technician" at an area facility in which studies were done on animals.  This was my first job out of college, and I realized how much my heart was going to be broken right away in this job.  But I was desperate for a job, and those student loan payments were piling up. (Side note: studies are not the same as experiments. Studies merely examine routine behaviors and do not harm the subject)
I cried. A lot.

5th Job: "Cytogenetic Technologist" for a genetics company.  First day, realized most of my work would be doing something that made me physically ill.  I immediately started looking for another job, but never left until 2 1/2 years, and 3 positions later.  Extremely stressful job.
I cried on the first day.  And at least 2 times every week for the rest of the 2 1/2 years.

6th and most current Job:  "Office Manager/ Sales Assistant" for a HVAC and plumbing systems sales company.  Love this job.  First day was pretty calm, free lunch, and learning the new job.  No one to train me but all the systems and programs I use on a daily basis are very common and easy to use.  Plus this job uses my given talents of organizing and talking to people.
First day- I didn't cry.  But today, almost 8 months after I started, I want to cry.  Extremely busy and with tasks in which I don't even know where to start.  I had to make myself take a break so that I could de-stress and talk type a little, even if it's to the blog world, in which my existence is barely known.



Seriously, making it past day 1 without crying has been HUGE.  I feel like this is a great fit for me and has been the only job in which I didn't cry on the first day. 

Anyone else have any signs that their job isn't going as well as planned?

1 comment:

  1. Everyone has a bad day now and then. Hang in there. It usually gets better.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete